7-DAY NO NEGATIVE CHALLENGE

May 30, 2013


a few weeks ago I received a lovely package from the cutest person ever, Brooklyn, who I had the pleasure of visit teaching last semester! She is one of the most incredible people I know and is making a great positive influence on the world. She sent me (along with a handful of other girls) this lovely bracelet with a turquoise bead. 

This bracelet was to remind me to not say negative things, mostly to remind me to be aware of when I am being negative. At least that is what it turned into for me. I am late in posting about this but I felt I needed to anyhow. It was funny how when I put this bracelet on, many of my circumstances seemed to crumble below my feet. I had to evaluate things that would make me feel or say something negative and strive to form a better reaction.

Things I find that I am most negative about, without having previously noticed:

1. I downgrade my dreams and settle far too often.
2. I let rocky relationships with others affect my mood (negatively) , and too often, how I treat those I love most.
3. I discredit the things I do if they don't turn out right, instead of judging the effort I put into a task.

There are many other things, but I felt those were the things worth mentioning right now. I'm in a big period of testing right now, but the biggest thing I learned from this experience is that my circumstances do not define me. I found this quote and it has really stuck with me:

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, they make them." (George Bernard Shaw)

I've got a lot of work to do in the positivity department. I'm just glad God is allowing me to experience some growing pains right now because it gives me a chance to prove that I am getting better. 

Y'all should try this out yourself--try going one week without being negative (or at least being more conscious of when you are negative), it's weird the things you'll learn about yourself. 

-meg


You Might Also Like

2 ounces of lovin'

  1. Megan, this was such a great post! You really do see yourself as a different person when you're not negative! Not to be a creeper, but I totally stalked you on FB yesterday and then I saw a blog link you posted and checked it out! We pretty much are like the same person, no joke! Just different universities in Utah! haha! Anyway! Cute blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! I love that quote about how we need to MAKE our own circumstances. So true. And seriously, I thought I was a pretty positive person so this experiment helped me see where I'm still lacking. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete