Integrity

November 03, 2012

"When it comes down to it, you just have to be proud of the decision you make.”

Integrity has become a word many people throw around. A value many claim to have. But when someone says they have integrity--should it be believed?


Definition 1, is typically what people think about when it comes to integrity, but what I'd really like to focus on is definition 2

The state of being whole & undivided.

This blog post has been a long time coming, I've been thinking as to what I should write in it for almost four months because it is something I feel strongly about. 
I looked up the definition of integrity when someone in my life said to me "I'm just frustrated because I kept my integrity through it all, I did what was best & people can hate me for it, but that's okay." This really struck me for a few reasons:

1. It's true--at the end of the day, you have to be content with what YOU do, even if people don't understand.
2. This person was currently "dealing with a situation", & because of said situation, they were treating me different as a result of it--different in a negative way, a way contrary as to what they claimed their character was. They were dishonest with me yet were holding themselves to high respect for being honest in another situation..

Where do you draw the line? People say they have integrity, but then are choosy as to what they have integrity about. This is why I so loved the definition of being whole and undivided. Lack of integrity results when people speak, yet don't act on what they say. & nothing peeves me more than when that happens. It's about being whole & undivided, being honest to EVERYONE, even when the truth hurts. It's good to be a people pleaser to an extent--but that type of behavior, often leads to a fear of being honest with others. If you have feelings, or convictions, or opinions, stick behind them. period.
At the end of the day I truly believe everyone thinks they have integrity. Everyone feels somewhat justified in doing what they are doing because they think it's best for the moment, or for the future--whatever it is--everyone thinks they have it, but it's those rare people who literally exude it. & it's those people who make positive impacts on those around them.

I want to be one of those people.

my brocef jeffy shared this quote with me the other day, thought it would be appropriate to include in my little rant:

"This integrity simplifies our lives & amplifies our sensitivities to he Spirit & to the needs of others. It brings peace to our souls--the kind of joy & peace that comes to us as we repent of our sins & follow the Savior by keeping his commandments" -Elder Ballard, October 2012 G.C.

I seriously think that is beautiful. being whole & undivided; being honest & having strong moral principles, allows us to help those around us, and gives us the same feeling of peace & joy that comes from changing ourselves for the better. I think the world needs a little more of real integrity.

You Might Also Like

0 ounces of lovin'